(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Mission Shopping, Zion's (Ensign) Peak, and Cleaning House!

Hello Friends!
Well... It's the end of week 3 of my release.  If you don't want to receive my over dramatic emails about it, just let me know. :)

This week I went mission shopping with my Brother, and he got a black, and gray suit.  Both pinstripe.  My mom asked about that.  She thought he should go for a solid.  Do striped suits and striped ties work, or clash?  I thought it was fine. We're exc
ited for him to leave in 5 weeks. :) It's a weird experience to shop with a missionary that is not myself. I'm grateful for the opportunity though to spend time with him before he leaves.  BLESSINGS!

SUPER windy up on the peak!!! :)
I've also been working on my bucket list.  This week my mom, sister, and I hiked Zion's Peak in Salt Lake City. We'd never done it before, but it was a really great experience.  I guess I'm not well educated about Church History, because in my brain the "This is the Place Monument" was on top of Zion's Peak.  And those of you from Utah probably know that is not actually the case.  So we drove up to the monument, and I was like....."This is it? Where's the hike." Although, there were stairs, and that sort of qualifies as a hike for me.  I was not prepared for the actually dirt, and steep incline that was the REAL hike.  But I brought a pair of lightly used Crocs, and they got me to the top.  We took planking and perching (Like an owl) pictures. Mission trends continued. ;)

All of my dreams are coming true tomorrow.  I get to clean the Timpanogos temple!  I'M SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!  The Relief Society sent around a sign up sheet my second Sunday home, and I almost cried because I've really wanted to clean the temple for a long time, and now it is finally happening. 

I need to come up with more bucket list items because at this rate I'll run out soon, and then what will I do with my life?!

Elder Ballard spoke the a 14 stake combine Stake Conference today (aka, Sunday). He gave very practical advice from the mouth of a "grandfather" as he put it. He posed a follow-up on his most recent General Conference talk "Stay in the boat, and hold on!". He told us to regularly have a self-interview to determine if we are in the right boat, going the right direction, and holding on with both hands. (Self- inventory... it's a principle of life, not just Preach My Gospel)

Sometimes the best weeks are the hardest weeks.  It's weird to be a different person surrounded by all the same things. I'm trying to purge my life of old stuff from the storage unit.  I've been a bit of a hoarder in the past, but NO MORE! I think I've given away 4 bags of stuff. Woot!

Well this is long, and y'all skim anyway. :)

Know that you are the most prayed for group of people in the entire world! (Prophets and apostles are included in the group because they are representatives of Jesus Christ too) I know it! 

The Gospel will NEVER cease to be true. It will never cease to require our faith, but it is always worthy of trust and faith, because it belongs to the most merciful, loving, and kind being in the universe. This week don't forget that above all else, you are called to witness to the world that faith in Jesus Christ cleanses, and brings joy.  I hope that you work to apply that principle yourselves.  I'm rooting for you! (Go team!)

Love forever,
Sister Amber Garvin

(Sorry this is a long email.  I haven't written in my journal very thoroughly due to an unexpected roommate. So I'm counting this.... )