(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

MTC - First Entry - April 11, 2013

These are excerpts from Amber's first letter.  I was SO thrilled to get it.  :) I'll be the one updating her site.  Thanks for following.  Heidi G. (Amber's Mom)

Dear Mom,

We were challenged by our MTC Presidency to write letters home last night.  I am a little late, but I am fulfilling the commitment I made.

I finally feel reassured that I .....have been prepared to be here.  I asked that there would be angels round about me to bear me up, and I felt there were throughout my arrival day and still.  Thank you for teaching me to ask.

It is an amazing thing to be here and to be part of this work.  I have already gained a new appreciation of being surrounded by the feeling of the Holy Ghost all the time.  I have also begun to learn to love differently despite mortal differences.

I know that Heavenly Father has prepared me to be a missionary for many reasons, one of them being that I really haven't gotten a huge culture shock -- maybe that will come later.  Right now I feel like studying and having a companion are what life should have always been like.

My companion is Sister ____.  She is from California and has amazing curly hair.  So far we get along really well, and she is teaching me, through her example,  how to talk to, relate to, and love others' no matter what.

Our district consists of 6 Elders and us.  We have already become close and have had some great discussions.  I am amazed at how quickly Elders step up their game and behave like men of God.

I know that one day ______(brother) can be one of them and learn some of the same lessons and behaviors he has already begun.

I want you to know that I am doing good.

I am glad to know of the birthplace of peanuts :)   Our district was wondering if peanuts grow on trees, shrubs, or underground?

Talk to you soon!
Sister Garvin

p.s.  I was called/chosen to be a sister training leader and Senior Companions for this week.  I will be in training with the other sisters until Sunday because they leave Monday from the MTC to their missions. I didn't know I could grown so much in such a short time.   :)