(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, May 6, 2013

May 6, 2013

This week has been so much busier than last week, and I love it.  I love having my time filled, and having structure in a schedule.

We had dinner with couple this week, and he brought his friend from work because they have been talking a little bit about the gospel, and religion.  We taught The Restoration lesson, and he committed to read the Book of Mormon.  We will be contacting him next week for a follow up apt, and will hopefully have a new progressing investigator!  

We were also able to visit with another investigator who we taught the Plan of Salvation. (Two full length lessons in a week is really good for us!) And she committed to be baptized!  We were unable to set a date, but when we meet with her this week we will talk to her a little bit more about it, and see if she would be willing to set a date for the end of this month, and progress towards that.

Something that is amazing about being here is that every single person that I have met here both member, and non-member I have had people De-Ja-Vu--not even exagurating (not sure how to spell that one.  I am google-free :-). I honestly feel like I have met them before.  I know that it is just another reminder that this is exactly where God wants me to be.  It is a completely different experience, and has tested my faith a lot, but I am reminded daily that I am supposed to be here.

Something that I was taught in the MTC is to never lower your expectations because that is how your performance is measured.  I re-learned that this week.  I came into this area with high expectations, and it seemed like everything that happened in the days that I first got here were things that really tested, and hinted that I should lower those expectations, but I have learned that it is good to have high expectations.  It is okay if they are not met, but there always needs to be a standard to measure by--that is what determines your success as a missionary I think.  Not whether the expectations or goals were met, but whether or not you were doing everything that you could to work towards them, and make progress, and meet the standards and expectations of the Lord.

My favorite scriptures this week were Alma 26:3,27, and also a CES fireside talk by Elder Bednar from March.  He talked about faith and told the story of how a young, newly married man was diagnosed with cancer.  He and his wife had immense faith, and knew that God could make him better. Long story super short.... They asked Elder Bednar for a blessing, and he asked them a couple of questions before they started--- this question really hit me hard---"Do you have the faith not to be healed?"

That is something that I needed this week.  I asked myself if I have the faith to do something that is really hard, and I don't understand.  Still something to ponder. :)  I hope that I would be that kind of person with that kind of faith.  It is something that I hope to be able to continue growing into.

Love forever,
Sister Garvin

P.S. Sorry for typos.  I can only type in scripture lingo now.  Side effects of being Thereforto art thou hath fore naught....... :)