(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, August 19, 2013

August 19, 2013 - Williamsburg, Va

Soooo,
This week I don't really want to write a long letter.  I hope that is okay and not offensive. :)

Sometimes typing is annoying, and I learned that I love computers, but I don't want to spend my entire life with a keyboard.  Because my fingers get worn out!

So here is the short vesion of my week: It was good, sad, overwhelming, joyful, peaceful, busy, and other stuff.  Pretty typical week.  I feel something different almost everyday.  And I learn just as many things every day.

I know that I am related to people that aren't satisfied with just that information so I will give a short story. :) (you're welcome Grandma! :)

This week, through accidental circumstances, I got a welt on my face, and then we had church the next day, and I didn't want people to get the idea that I had been beat up or something, so I slept on a rock-hard icepack.

OH!  This is a good story!!

We were helping a member with some yard work, and there was a toad in her garden bed!  I was very brave, and I caught it!  And I held it!  (I held my first toad.  I know what you all are thinking.... None of us ever thought that this day would come... But let me tell you... Virginia has changed me.)

I think that I shared the story last week, but I'm even killing spiders now.  Of course it is with cleaning spray that shoots very far, but my aim is getting better. :)

So those are the stories for this week.

We taught an unexpected Restoration lesson, and I asked someone to be baptized for the first time.

Please don't judge that I haven't done it before.  I'm learning and that is the part that counts.  But I felt good about it, and it wasn't as scary or intimidating as some people make it out to be.  You just have to do it.

Like I think I've said previously: Heavenly Father is teaching me how important it is to feel.  I am learning more and more every week why He called me on a mission, and His purposes surpass all the understanding I had previously about why I choose to come on a mission.  

I'm reflecting on who I was 4 months ago.  I'm foundation-ally the same, but the structure is more refined, and improved than I ever thought possible.  Heavenly Father is a good Character Architect. :)

I guess this turned out longer when I realized that I had some more things to say to combat the goofy.

This letter didn't start out with a point in mind, but as I have written it I have reached on, and it is this:

God IS our LOVING Heavenly Father.

know that this is true. And if it's true that Heavenly Father loves me, and if it's true that He loves you than every thing else about the gospel makes sense.

Now, I'm out of time. 

I love you family.  More than I can even put into words.  And that is a lot, because I have a lot of words. (See above)

Love always, and forever,

Sister Amber Garvin