(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26, 2013, Williamsburg, Virginia, Sister Missionaries

Sister Garvin and Sister Newbold
Today is the first day of my 4th transfer.  Congratulations me!  I made it.

This week was really good, and sometimes pretty weird.

We went on exchanges with the sisters we live with, and I was able to serve for a day in a place other than my area.  I loved it!  Not because I don't love my area-- because I do, and I dont want to ever go anywhere else--but because it was a great experience to have one day someplace else.  Testify of truth, meet other people that like the missionaries, yeah.  It was just a really wonderful.

We went to an Assisted Living center where a member of their ward was living, and we ended up talking with this old man for a long time!  It was really powerful to feel the Spirit just testifying of simply truths.  Most especially of God's love for each individual.  I love seeing the little bits of hope that appear in people's eyes as they realize that they are cared about, and there is something more to life then just going through it.

So that was neat.

Something I learned very clearly this week:
Our purpose, my purpose, as a missionary is only to invite, and if the invitation is accepted then to gently guide.  Never to entice, cajole, manipulate, or convince anyone that the gospel is true.  Never that.  That's a bad idea.

We never ask someone to take our word for it.  Believe that the Gospel has been restored, or that the Book of Momon is true just because I say so.  That is also, a bad idea.  The promise in Moroni 10:3-5 is real!  You can ask and find out for yourself that it is true, but you have to really want to know.

Sorry... my collection of thoughts is pretty brief, and less organized than usual.  Time is running out! 

Love forever!

Thank you more than I can say for your unwavering support!

Love,
Sister Garvin

Book of Mormon Promise