(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday, January 6, 2014 - Amber in Rocky Mount North Carolina

Merry Christmas from Sis. Watt and Garvin
Well. 
 
Basically I'm going to write the same thing that I wrote in my journal yesterday to you, because I had some pretty good thoughts, and it basically describes some of the things that I thought through and dealt with this past week.
 
Preface:
In a really joking manner in which I didn't take offense at all-- we were in an appointment and someone told me that I was a perfectionist, that it was written all over my face, and that I tried too hard. (this is a very condensed version that probably sounds pretty harsh, but I can't explain the whole back story.  I just pulled out these three things so that I could expound on the thoughts that I had this week. :)
 
I really didn't take offense.
 
In fact, I will completely admit to the truth of the aformentioned statements.
 
So here are the deep thoughts.
 
As I recognized the truth of the statement "you're a perfectionist" I wondered why that might be.  I did some self-reflecting, and came to the conclusion that being a perfectionist and being controlling of other people are two different things.  Well, obviously.
 
Okay.  Talking myself in circles here.
 
I just want to let you know why I feel completely comfortable about being a perfectionst, and and important thing that I leanred this week and my agency to choose to do good, be good, and think good were tried a little bit.
 
I looked back over my life, and thought of all the things that have ever happend to me. All of the enviorments, challenges, tests, moves, sittuations, and other external things I RARELY had control over. 
 
But I did have control over my internal reaction to external challenges. 
 
So with "perfectionist" attributes I realized that yes, I am a perfectionist.  Be cause I have control over the things that I do, and my personal agency.  I want to know that I can be satisfied with the things that I do, and I have to do and be my best to be satisfied.
 
I don't know if that makes sense.
 
Maybe it's way too deep.
 
I probably should just testify of simple gospel truths.
 
So in summation (I looked 'summation' up in the dictionary last week, and I did use it in the correct context!  So I'll do it again!  Vocabulary=Expanded!)
 
God has given us agency to use to make decisions that will lead us to happiness, and will guide us bak to Him someday.  He wants us to try to do our very best so that we can grow, and can find goodness in each day we are blessed to live.  He loves it when we make good decisions, and when we are happy, and love it when we remember that He is the one that has given us a precious gift with which we can CHOOSE to be good, CHOOSE to do good, and CHOOSE to think good.
 
Maybe that's more simple. :)
 
So there ya' go!  Deep thoughts from deep in the South.
 
P.S. half way is this Friday. Woot.
 
Love you all, always,
 
:)
 
-Sister Amber Garvin


Christmas Packages - Thank you!

Kind of a Big Bite!  :)