(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, May 5, 2014

Nag's Head, NC, Monday, May 5, 2014

So I finally understand what Cinco de Mayo is!  It's today!  The fifth of May!  I understand this because we serve with Hermanas in Nags Head.  They are great, and I  already feel a little bit more fluent in Spanish.  :)  Maybe I'll end my mission as an Hermana.  Just kidding... Not that fluent.

This really great thing happened this week. 

Elder Bednar came and we had a combined mission meeting with the Richmond, VA mission.  It was wonderful!  I got to drive through Richmond again, for probably the last time, and I saw almost everyone from the MTC there.  Sister Vance gave me a great big smile!  She just has the most beautiful spirit!  I love her!

We were asked not to discuss Elder Bednar coming outside of missionaries, so that's why I'm telling you after it already happened.

It made me scream and cry when I found out he was coming.

It was the best. day. ever!

We were given 3 talks to diligently study
Converted Unto the Lord
Seek Learning by Faith 

We spent 2 hours discussing the things that we had learned and  and asking him questions. He was so open and frank with us, which I really appreciated, I learned so much from listening for the patterns in his teaching, and I hope to be able to apply it better in my own proselyting here in Nags Head with Sister Petrie.

He gave 2 guidelines for asking him questions. 1) Don't write down everything he said.  We don't receive revelation for copying down his talk.  He compared it to writing on small plates, and writing on large plates.  We have to write down what the spirit teaches us on small plates. 2) don't show off.
I thought those were great.  I wish I could say it the same what that he did, but I have limited time, and didn't write on large plates. ;)

I don't really know that much about how the work is in Nags Head yet.  We spent my first 3 days driving a lot.  It took 8 hours on transfer day, and we got home well, after dark.  Friday we had District Mtg. an hour away, and then we drove to New Kent to stay the night which took 3.5 hours so that we could stay the night with the Sisters and Hermanas there and carpool to Richmond Saturday.  Then we drove back home..... So I'm tired of driving a little bit. :)

All I know is that there was a spider in my purse the first night here, and I had to squish it's guts on the inside of my purse so it didn't get on my scriptures.  It was terrible.  Is there anyway that I can make sure that I sleep with my mouth closed?  I'm petrified of swallowing "...a spider who wriggled, and jiggled and tickled insider her...."  literally.....

Good news!  I've received a letter from President Baker, and he says that there is a hurricane plan in place, and that I wont have to die on Nags Head the sandbar. So that's reassuring.  I think the work here will be good after all. :)

That's all I got for today!

Sister Garvin