(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, November 17, 2014

Feeling Famous, Thanksgiving, and Strong Leaders!

Hello.


This week I drove Al Fox Carraway and her husband Ben in a golf cart. So I feel a little bit closer to famous. Famous people know famous people right?! They are super nice. I enjoyed the five minute jaunt.


It's been interesting to work at the casting office again. I feel like I get to talk with more people about things that are important to them instead of the passing "How are you's?" in the street. The church is incredible. And I so greatly admire those who seek direction from the Lord in the small and great things.


There are like 12 Youth Mormon messages that are supposed to be filmed by the end of this year. So it will be a payday next year when they are all released.


In other news.... I was just called to teach the 17-18 year olds. Woot! I'm SOOOO excited! I love the youth!-- And it's my sister's class so that's a bonus as well. I sat in the class for the first time yesterday, and felt so much love for each of them. I don't remember all the ways that you can struggle as a teenager, but I know that I was so grateful for strong willed Young Women's leaders who came to my house to bring me to activities, and didn't give me an easy way out. It shaped the foundation for my life, and activity in the church. I am so grateful for them.


It may not be the same, but I am praying that the Lord will teach me and guide me to know how I can relate with these young people. They need a strong foundation. They need exactly what the "Come Follow Me" program and "Preach My Gospel" teach-- they need to be taught according to their needs; not just cookie-cutter lessons.


It's a journey to learn how to strengthen foundations.
My dad was re-building the footing and foundation of his house, and I remember some of the process. It took a really long time. He had to mount half of the house on stilts, stabilize it, cut out the old foundation, create a mold for the new foundation, pour concrete, wait for it to dry, then go through the whole process again on the other half.


I think that we spend most of our lives just working on the foundation. Or maybe that's just me, but either way therein lies an important principle. The foundation must be built thoroughly, with patience, and an eye for detail, just as our lives must be shaped, built and endures on principles of exact obedience, patience, faith, and "eye single to the glory of God", and trust in the Lord. It can't be built all at once, but a step at a time, a day at a time.


During this week of Thanksgiving not only am I grateful for the leaders in the church who helped me shape a strong foundation, but I am grateful for the tools to build that foundation. And I'm grateful that the Lord has all the specific instructions to building a sure, stable foundation I don't have to re-create a less perfect plan, but I can follow His!


I hope that this Thanksgiving you have the opportunity to be leaders in your own sphere of responsibility (within your ward, area, etc...). That you find joy in service, and can lend a helping hand in the work of strengthening, shaping, or re-pouring the foundations of others. :)


I'm grateful for each of you, and send you my love!


-Sister Amber Garvin