(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, September 23, 2013

Amber in Virginia - Monday, Sept. 23, 2013

So apparently when I try to type really fast my brain spells the wrong version of words that I am thinking of like four instead of for.  Well, that's embarassing..... Oops!

Guess what I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for?!
You probably will take to long to guess so I will just tell you.
General Conference is (not this weekend) NEXT WEEKEND!
Guess why this is momentous?! 
Because it will mark 1 year since the age change for missionaries (which changed many peoples worlds--including mine.)
Also, I get to spend 10 hours sitting-- which is way more than I have done in 2 days in the last 5 months. :)  So that will be great.

This week I have been thinking a lot about being successful, and becoming, and other deep thoughts like that.
I have reached a really wonderful conclusions (thanks again to my lovely mother, and also my great mission president) 
Wise words "all we have to show for this is what we have become."

So then the question is: What would have to happen for me to feel like I had served a successful mission?

Would it be 'X' number of baptisms, or 'Y' number of miracles?

You are right if your brain just thought "NO!"

Go you!

While my realizations may not be accurate for all other missionaries around the world, they are for me, and on the slight chance they may benefit somebody I am willing to share.

If (super metaphorically) I came home tomorrow, or next week, or next month, would I be satisfied with who I had become?  The answer: yes. Why you ask?  What is the point, or what do you have to show for it?

Well, my answer is simply that I have become more.

I know that it sounds weird. But it's true.  I haven't become a completely different person (I still think I'm SO funny!)  but I have become more, and maybe even more important than that is that I LOVE the people here.

I could come home tomorrow and feel like I had been successful simply because I opened my heart up again, and I learned to love the people.

I can show for all this that I loved. And that I served out of love.

That's good enough for me, and I feel that it is good enough for the Lord.

I know that He called me on a mission so that he could teach me about this really miraculous, and minor-ly comprehendable thing called love.

And that's that.

Also,
Well, not also, 
But! 
(as always)
You are in my prayers, and 
I love you forever.

Love,
Sister Amber


From:  Mission Conference in July - (Photo posted by my Mom)  
(Amber is on third row back, kneeling 5th from left, red top.  :)
Missionaries in Virginia, Chesapeake Mission, 2013