(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, December 23, 2013

Monday, December 23, 2013, Rocky Mount, North Carolina - LDS Sister Missionaries

Wow!  Can you believe it's Christmas?! Also..... it was 80 degrees yesterday. It's muggy and rainy, and hot.  It's a new experience for sure-- not to have cold weather on Christmas! :)  But I really am so so excited to be able to spend Christmas with some of the people here!  They have made such an impression on me and I love them!
 
We had a wonderful Christmas program in Church yesterday.  The chapel was PACKED! There were a lot of visitors as well as people that haven't been to church in a long time that were able to make it.
 
We sang in the Ward Choir as well as sang a song with some members called In the Bleak Midwinter.  It is a hymn that isn't in our hymnbook, but is in many others. President Monson quoted the last verse of it in the Devotional on December 8th.  There was a really sweet spirit in the room, and I think that combined with the otherr music and the Primary children there must have been at least one person in the congretation that learned and felt something that they needed to.
 
I love our ward!  They are so good to us!
 
This is another short email.
 
I'm just really excited for Christmas, and to see your beautiful faces, and hear your angelic voices (Andrew can be a Bass angel. :)
 
I love you!
 
Thank you all for taking the initiative to help others feel of the love of their Savior during this time of year!  I know that there are many all over the world that have need to feel it, and I hope that as any you have reached out you have been able to feel the Savior's love for you as well and what the true meaning and spirit of Christmas are.
 
I learned an important lesson this week.
 
We have each been blessed with unique capabilities and gifts, and Heavenly Father will provide a way that we can use those capabilities and gifts within our means to build His kingdom.  There is no one "right" way that everybody does it.
 
If there is a specific plan and purpose for our lives, as I know there to be, then there must also be a specific plan for how we can build God's way. 
 
I don't know if this makes sense or if it's just redundant.  We'll just say that it makes sense to me, and I'm working on figuring out how to use what I've got to build the way that I need to build.
 
(Maybe we won't include this in the book of wisdom that I know someone has got to be compiling. :)
 
Oh, P.S. We got a new Elder to work with!  One of our other ones finished his mission and went home.  We're really excited to keep the work moving forward, and there is a lot of new energy and excitement since our new Elder has just been out since our mission was created.  It's going to be "Excellent!"
 
I love you!
 
Love,
Sister Amber