(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - Rocky Mount, North Carolina

Sister Missionaries
Wow! 
These last two transfers have seemed to ust fly by!  I feel like it's only been a couple of weeks that we have been in Rocky Mount, but it's come closer and closer to possibly being the end of our time here. (no speculation involved.  It's just probably that there will be a change here since we've both been here two transfers. :)

I am increasingl grateful for the time that I have been able to spend here.  I remember how it felt the first couple of weeks to just have to try to start from almost ground 0 with our teaching pool, but we have a solid building block now, and I know, that because of the help that we have had here, and the things that have been done, that future sisters will be blessed in being able to work off of something.  It's neat to have been a part of that, and a part of the lives of so many people that I love.

I've been reminded (by my Mom) that I haven't shared much about this area, and part of that is because I never want anything to be read out of context or in a different spirit than intended.  I'll apologize in advance if anything of the sort occurs. :)

As part of this Christmas season I have become even more aware of the need of the people here.  I have heard from different sources that parts of where we are serving have some of the lowest poverty rates in the United States.  I am continually amazed at the cheerfulness of those who have less than I have ever had.

I have learned that just because your belongings are falling apart it doesn't mean that your life is falling apart.  There is still fulfilment with out material possessions.

I'm not serving in a third world country, so maybe I don't understand what it truly is to have nothing, but from the expanded perspective that I have gained I know that I haven't gone without anything really.

I remember my mom saying that when she came home from her mission she felt like a rich person because there was carpet on the floors.  I feel like a rich person for having internet, and for being able to turn lights on any time that I want, and for being able to heat the house during the Winter without propane heaters. (I think that's what they are run off of….)

President and Sister Baker have proposed that service is going to be a key to not being homesick this season.  I know that there are going to be many, many opportunities to serve different people here, and I am grateful to know-- from experience on Thanksgiving-- that service is the best medicine for a hurting heart. :)  I will miss all the people  and family that I love, but I know that it's going to be alright.

On another sparadic note:  We had Elder and Sister Perkins of the Seventy come do a mission tour on yesterday.  We learned "many great and important things…"

And something that really stuck out to me was:

The key to revelation is asking a specific question that requires action.

So my new goal with personal and companionship study is to have a quesiton for every study session.  I'm excited to act on the answers, and see how it works.

This is one of the times that I have decided I just have to faithfully try.  But I'm going to faithfully try whole-heartedly, and just see how it goes. :)

I love you!
Have a marvelous week!
Love,
Sister Garvin

With a Special Family

Serve others, Serve God