(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, August 18, 2014

Hard Week, Delicious Shrimp, CTR acronymns, The Currant Bush, Be Happy

Hello there Family.

This week feels like it's been the most hardest week of my life.  I've had people yell at me, criticize me, miss appointments, yadda yadda (well that last one is not really new.) Also, today, I received my 'trunky' papers via email.

Worst day ever.  The rest of it will be good though.

There were some good things though.  We had an investigator come to Sacrament Meeting.  We found a new investigator, we ate delicious shrimp from a delicious deli owned by the Mayor.  That was good.  We also watched some really uplifting Mormon messages.  I'd like to share this one.  It's basically the story of my life the past week....

It's called "The Will of God" and is the story of a Currant bush that got cut down.  But the moral is that God knows who each of us need to be, and knows that we will be happy being that person.  So sometimes He cuts us down when we are trying to be something we're not intended to be so that He can shape us into the thing that will make us the most happy.

We also spent the car ride home from our district meeting making acronyms for CTR.  Here are  a few.  Some we cannot take credit for.

Christ The Redeemer
Current Temple Recommend
Choose To be Ready
Called To Repent
Cause to Rejoice
Come to Rest
Called to rescue
Curb the Rebellion (AKA Apostasy...)
Claim the Redemption
Called To Reach out
Carry the Righteous
Celebrate the Restoration
Courage to Repent
Courage to Receive
Cleansed through Repentance/righteousness
Claim the reward
Count the Reasons

Personal favorites:
Contact, Tract, Role-play
Contact the Referral

So here is wisdom for today.  CTR!!!! :)

Sometimes I complain at the beginning of my letter.  Rest assured,  I do know better.  But sometimes journaling just doesn't do it for me.  I've gotta get it out.  And by the end of my letters I'm feeling encouraged and motivated to do a little better. :)

So I feel better now I think.

I read many things this morning related to missionary work.  Alma 38, Doctrine and Covenants 12-17, some favorite talks and Preach My Gospel.  Here is a bit of revelation that I received this morning.  It's not meant to stress people out okay?  I'm just sharing something that matters to me.

Its this:

President Baker has told us that we are here to build the kingdom, not just to maintain it.

So, if we are rewarded according to our works, and all we are working here is to maintain things and "putter around", we'll be rewarded with a place that we can "putter".  A stagnant place meant for not progressing and making changes sounds like a terrible state of being if you ask me, and I'm resolved to build. 

Now, I've had only 1 baptism.  And people may say that building the kingdom of God just means that we baptize everyone.  Let me direct you to Preach My Gospel Chapter 1.  Building the Kingdom is measured by your commitment to do what the Lord has asked.

Now think of your most favorite thing in the whole wide world.  Are you committed to it? Do you practice it?  Does it absorb you?  Well, then you are committed.

Now ask yourself this.  Am I committed to the promises that I have made with God who is the almighty being of the universe?  Do you practice it?  Does it absorb you?

Or is it just for Sundays and Wednesday night activities?

This week I am going to be thinking about what it really means to me to be committed, and not to just putter in maintaining the kingdom (which I don't think I do, but can be easy to get in the mindset of).  

I will build it this week. 

Ask me if I'm serious.
(notice that that was not a question)

I will report on the success, and miracles that we see next week.  

Thank you all for being here, for responding favorably to my request for quotes, and for enduring another episode of the Garvin Soapbox.

Just wait until I get home.  It's better in person.

I have to get off the computer now.

I love you still!

Love,
Sister Garvin


Read more about Sister Garvin and Sister Carlson