(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, August 11, 2014

Quote Book, Ups and Downs, Preach My Gospel, His Grace is Sufficient

I'm trying to make a quote book and write a quote that is really good each day.  I've fallen behind, because in all honesty I don't have time to look.  So I wondered if y'all would send me 20 or so quotes in the mail?  It can be over time.... I need about 70 more. :)

I'm going to be brief this week.  I'm about out of time.

I've just learned a lot from reading several talks this week.

"Bear up their Burdens with Ease" Elder David A Bednar
"Preach My Gospel"

I've found myself being a downer this week.  Dumb I know.  I know I know better, but I dont always do what I know-- which has been declared before.  So.... whatever.  :)
Anyway, there have been a lot of things to laugh about this week because I have a great companion, and we have similar senses of humor.

There is a shining experience that I had this week though.  I flat out told a guy that we were there as representatives of Jesus Christ to invite him to repent, to come back to church, and to keep his covenants.  I felt good about it.  But sometimes being that bold makes me shake a little bit.  I'm not sure if it's the Spirit, or if I just get fired-up.  It was a powerful teaching moment though.
In Alma it talks about using boldness, but not overbearance.  I looked through some of my old notes from meetings, etc.... and I read something that I had written a few months ago. 

"The difference between boldness, and over-bearance is the intent behind it." 

Elder Holland states in Preach my Gospel that " if we listen with love we wont need to wonder what to say.  It will be given us by the Spirit, and by our friends."

I re-learned that to be true.

This mission has been full of ups and downs. 

I learned from some of my past companions about multiple baptisms, and great success in their areas, and I don't have all those things under my belt.  It can be easy to compare my weaknesses to their strengths.  But I do have a strength.  I've been a part of the journey of each of the amazing, incredible people that are inviting so many to come unto Christ, and I am so grateful that they are having these miraculous experiences. Because I'm willing to have the ones that I'm having.  And they are willing to have the ones that they are having.... Also, there are mighty miracles wrought every day.  They are here.  They are evident if I but have the eyes to see them.

I don't know if that makes a lot of sense in words, as it does in my head.

Well.... Hopefully someone will learn something from that.

I'm making a conscious decision this week to only compare my strengths and weaknesses to what Heavenly Father expects of me right now, where I am in life.  That is all that I need anyway.

Sending love and hugs,
Sister Garvin

Go to this website for some uplifting music.

And for some inspirational memes, quotes, and photos.

https://www.lds.org/media-library/images?lang=eng 

Kay, Bye!