(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, October 21, 2013

Hello Whole World - From North Carolina, Monday, Oct. 21, 2013

Hello whole world.
Sister Garvin and Sister Friend from High School


Sister Garvin here, with news from the North Carolina front.  Or west-east, I don't really know.

Anyway, there is this thing called the sun, and I pretty sure that the world revolves around it, and it just so happened that today it is shining.  So it's a good day.

I keep thinking and saying that one quote from Finding Nemo--"The sun is shining the tank is clean, and we are getti... AHHHH the tank is clean!"

That's basically a metaphor for life.

Preparation Day is tank cleaning day.  And nap time. 

It means a lot.

This week was a little bit overwhelming, but great too.  We met with lots of people and had some of the highest key indicators in a couple of areas that I've ever had, so I'm thrilled to know that it's possible, that it's happening, and that I'm a part of it.

We worked really hard to stay busy all week, and there was so much going on.  So many new people, so many appointments, and just so many manys.

I have the need to nap so that I can process information.

Something that I have learned from this area is that I have not had it as bad as I sometimes think, in terms of life and experiences.

People have real struggles, and the movies are more accurate than I thought. 

I love them so much for their desires to find something better, and to be better, and my knowledge of this one fact has increased: God doesn't create a no-good anything or anybody.

We all have goodness within us, it is who we are.  And I think that is one of the reasons that we look for happiness.  Happiness is a good thing, and two good make an even better.

Yes, we fall short, and sometimes we look for good, and for happiness in the wrong areas, but we are doing the best we can with what we know and with our current capacities.  And life is a hard thing.

We were listening to a talk tape this week by Mary Ellen Edmunds, and she said something that struck my thoughts at the time "Happiness never was misery." and "Happiness doesn't mean a lack of sorrow."

There is great wisdom in that.

These are scrambled thoughts, but the I hope you get the gist.

Also words of wisdom from me:

1) Look for happiness in the right places!  The Lord has provided the correct and good resources for us to find those right places.

2) Endure to the end!  There will be sad times, but next year you probably wont remember them.
I know that I'll look back on my mission and I wont remember the times that were hard--which is at least 80%.  I'll remember the joys, and the happinesses.

So, yeah.

I still love you as much as I have always if not more!

Love, 

Sister Amber

Our 'District"
Sister Garvin, Sister Watt, Yolanda