(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, October 7, 2013

Rocky Mount, North Carolina - LDS Sister Missionaries

It's official.  I've been banished from my homeland of Virginia.  3 hours banished.  Sent to the most farthest parts of the boonies.  Over 100 miles away from my birthplace of Jamestown, and let me tell you something.
Nothing is the same.
The trees are nowhere near the same.
There are cotton fields. (which I may possibly be allergic to......)

The sky is even a different color.
And it's 90 degrees again.

You think I'm being dramatic, but let me tell you in all honesty.
I'm neither poetic nor dramatic.  
North Carolina, and Virginia are not the same.
Except for Walmart, Target, and Chick-fil-a.  Those are generally universally the same.
This is not to say that North Carolina is bad, in fact, quite the contrary.  We received the warmest, most genuine welcome--more than I could have ever hoped for.  We have a BEAUTIFUL new car which I feel blessed an privileged to drive every day.  It's beautiful, (NC, and the car.)
And I know that I'm supposed to be here.
I'm praying REALLY REALLY hard that I'll find out why sooner rather than later, because it's hard.
Opening an area is like making a cake from scratch (also, it seems that I've forgotten everything that I've ever learned...).  We have all these ingredients spread out all over the house, and a recipe in one of the 47 cookbooks laying around, and there is so much to do that I might get over stressed and explode.  
We have all the ingredients or resources, but we have to find the right recipe so we can actually make cookies.
The great thing is that the Lord has prepared many hands in this part of the vineyard to gather in all the resources, and the Master has the recipe memorized.
So I feel like I have to do everything, but really it's all psychological.  I'm my biggest obstacle right now.
So now that I've made it through that thought process.... Thanks family for being an anchor to me.  I feel like my letters home are just compilations of my journal entries, only better because I've thought them through a little bit, and my brain has had time to process the emotional roller-coaster of the past week.  (This is a really long way of me saying that I'm grateful that you validate my fire-hose explosion of words each week.)
The vibes from this email are probably easy to dis-cypher.  It's been hard this week.  It's probably going to be hard this week too, and probably longer than that.
But I can hear the North Carolina rain beating on the roof of the library.
I have a GPS that tells me how to find home.
The Spirit witnessed to me that Rocky Mount is exactly where I'm supposed to be,
I know that if I wasn't supposed to be here I wouldn't be.
There is a team here, of angels and of inspired members of the church that have answered the Lord's call to come labor in His vineyard.
I know that I'm never as alone as I feel.
I know how to find Walmart, and the church, and the golf-course.
Even though I really question my own abilities, I know that the Lord is limitless.  I know that I want to get somewhere, sometime, and I know that quitting or giving-up wont get me either of those places. :)
So this is probably a little bit of a self-pitiful rant, but there it is.  
This is my life for the next year.  I hit 6 months this week (Gracious Agnes.)
So next October everybody!  I'm coming home full speed, and will probably run down the escalator strait into the people that I love mostest in the entire world, and then into my sweatpants for an entire day.  I think I can work a year for that. ;)
Love you always,
Sister Amber in: thebestmissioninthewholeworldbecausethisiswheretheLordsentme--VirginiaChesapeakeMissionForever!!(exclamation point!)
Here is my new address:
Sister Amber Garvin
3717 Winchester Road
Rocky Mount, NC 27804