(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, October 14, 2013

Rocky Mount, North Carolina, October 14, 2013

I hit something remarkable.  And no, it did not damage the car.

I hit my 6 month mark!

Do you know what that means?

It means that I'm a third done, and now I can't turn back.

Good Gravy.

Well, at least if I know that I made it this far, and it didn't feel like that long of a time, I know that I can make it a little bit longer.  Meaning I can finish this race.  I'm just going to need some fuel to get me there (and a wheelchair at the finish line, because my little 3' legs are going to fall off when I get there... probably.  SO embarrassing.)

Anyway.  I don't really know what is going on, but I think that there is a hurricane that is coming off the coast, and I haven't seen the sun for LITERALLY an entire week.  It's been really overcast.

I don't remember what the sky looks like blue!

I've never experienced this before, but we're far enough in-land that we'll only get rain (I think)

Mama didn't raise no hurricane experienced sista!

I'm prepared for blizzards, and earthquakes, not all that wet stuff and tornadoes.

This is a very new experience.

I've decided to love and appreciate the sunshine more.

I don't have a TON to say this week because I'm running out of typing steam, but I do have to say wonderful things about the people here.

THEY. ARE. WONDERFUL.

I love them.  There is a very frank and open demeanor with the people/culture here, and nobody is afraid to share with you the things that are going on in their minds/ hearts.

That is very good for growing boldness in a Sister. :)

My new companion is Sister Watt from Boise, Idaho.  She's 20.  I don't know why I keep getting companions that are older than me!  There is probably a lesson there....
She is very open, and loves the people here.  I'm excited to learn here.

I fully recognize that I'm not as humble or reliant as I ought to be on the Lord.  I have the distinct impression that I'm going to be learning a lot about that in the next few weeks.  I'm hoping that I'm prepared enough to learn the lessons on humility and reliance that I need to because those are the hard ones. (Lessons I mean.)

So that's what's next!

Look forward to more exciting lessons and stories all the way from the East coast!

Oh, I accidently drove part way down a one way street the wrong way before I realized that we were a little off.  The sign was so small that I didn't notice it!  And we didn't die, and got things on track relatively quick.  I think that's a goot metaphor for the Holy Ghost.

Sometimes we miss the sign that says that we are off track, but if we pay attention and listen we'll always have the Holy Ghost to remind us of the sign we missed.

I'm grateful for the U-turns of the Atonement. :)

Love from North Carolina!

Sister Garvin

P.S. Mom.   I think that it's time for winter clothes.  Would you put something together with my leather gloves, coat, and brown boots?  Maybe some of my other winter head gear and stuff?  I don't remember what I put in the pile. :) Thanks!!!!