(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday, November 11, 2013, Sister Garvin in 'North Carolina'

Missionaries: Goldsboro Zone
So transfer calls were yesterday (which I can hardly believe....).  I've been here for 6 weeks already, and I get to stay at least another 5!

We are having a 5 week transfer next time because otherwise the new missionaries would be coming in on Christmas day.  Also it's no good to spend the entire week of Christmas getting ready to leave all the people that you love.  Now we get to spend the week before doing that.  Which is still no good, but it's better than the worst, and I can be content-ish with that.

Anyway.... I'll know if I'm leaving Rocky Mount on December 16.  Then I can tell you. :)

This week was adventurous.

On Saturday at exactly 5:00 AM our fire alarm started chirping every single minute.  The battery was low, and it was awful! We tried to take the battery out, but it was still attached to the ceiling, and had a back up power source, so it still chirped. We turned all the lights on, and I stood on my companion's bed to try to do something about it.  I just wanted my extra 1.5 hours of sleep left! 

We reached the conclusion that we were just going to have to sleep with ear plugs, but we said a little prayer over the battery, and put it back in.

Guess what?..... It worked, and the alarm stopped chirping!

Whether by miracle or happenstance it matters not, because I believe that it was an answered prayer.  Especially since at 6:30, as soon as my alarm went off it started chirping again.

We woke up and it was 61 degrees in our house.

We went to the store and got a battery at 6:45 a.m., as soon as we had put on skirts, and brushed our hair.

It was a long day, but I learned that as many bad things that there are in one day there are at least as many good things too.  There is always enough good to combat the bad.  It's just really hard to shift your perspective.

Oh P.S.   It was my 7 month birthday yesterday.
I'm growing up so fast!  In January I'll be half way done!

I read some good missionary (and life) talks this week-- both by Elder Bednar.

The First "That We Might Not 'Shrink",which I may have made mention of before.  It's great.  Everyone should read it.  It helps with the whole perspective business.

The second "Becoming a Preach My Gospel Missionary."

They helped me this week. :)

I don't really know how to end this week.  I've run out of things to say that are inspiring today.  Except rhymes.... If you're inspired by rhymes.... Then I am still full of inspiration.

add, bad, cad, dad, fad, gad, had, lad, mad, pad, rad, sad, tad, wad, zad, orange, grape, artichoke.

Haha.  I really make myself laugh.
I'm so weird, I hope that you still like me when I get home, and have no social skills.  All I'll know how to do is bear my testimony. 

Oh, Ash!  The member that we live with-- Brother Holloman had a 'hippie van' that had red white and blue, with American flag curtains on it.  You would really, really like him. :)     
(note from Amber's mom:  Amber's younger sister, Ashley, LOVES 'hippie vans' and wants one 'really bad'.)  :)

I hope you can meet (by Skype) at Christmas!

Love always, and forever!  even when its colder than 60 degrees.

Buenos Nachos! ;)

-Sister Garvin

Hakki! AKA: 'Hello' Via Ashley.