(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday, November 25th, 2013, Rocky Mount, North Carolina

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
 
This week was filled with many different opportunities and miracles.  Let me tell you something that is a good principle that I learned:
 
One time (last Thursday...) we were setting many goals.  These goals were SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, reasonable, and timely) EXCEPT: there was one.
 
There was one goal with which we have been not a SMART about.  Namely, finding new investigators. 
 
I will just say that I'm still learning ways that we can do that.
 
BUT!  We devised a plan.
 
Instead of setting a low SMART goal as we had been previously we would set a HIGH SMART goal knowing that it probably wouldn't happen, but knowing that it would be a high number and that we would be forced to think about it throughout the week.
 
Let me tell you something.  I think it was a major 'lightbulb' moment because....
 
We reached our goal.
 
And we did it while doing all the same things that we have been doing in the last 6 weeks.
 
So I learned that Heavenly Father makes it possible for us to accomplish great things in the midst of our everyday activities.  You don't have to do something outstandingly different to make a difference, just be willing.
 
I think that as far as members of the church go, sometimes we think that finding people who might be interested in the gospel is independant of what we do in our lives already-- it's a different activity.
 
It's not!
 
I can say it as a member, and as a missionary. 
 
All that we are asked to do is be commited to doing what the Lord has asked.
 
If we are commited, TRULY committed, and we set an insired goal, He will make it possible for us to accomplish that goal in a way that we may not have thought it would happen, and in a way that suits our personal strengths and our personal lives.
 
So, everybody:
Christmas is coming fast.  Are you commited to finding a person with whom you can help feel of God's love?  Are you really committed?  If you are, I can promise you that the Lord will trust you enough to place somebody in your path that is ready and needs to feel of that love.  It may be in an unexpected way, but it will happen.


 
Epiphany:  Miracles do not come from casual commitment.  I just thought of that just barely as I was typing this to you.
 
Now you know my thought processes. :)
 
I hope that each of you will commit to finding that "one" and loving that "one" in the same way that the Savior would love them.  Will you do that? It will bless not only them, but you. I KNOW that as we have Christlike love for others, we feel of Christ's love for us because I have learned for myself through service, and through that love that He loves me.
 
I know that this is a season and time in the gospel as well as year to reach out in love to others and help them, and invite them to feel of the love that Heavenly Father and the Savior have for them!
 
I LOVE YOU!!!! And I hope that you know it every time that you feel "low".  I am one of the three people that loves you a million much!!!!! :)
 
Talk to y'all nest week!
 
Love,
Sister Starvin (for a Thanksgivin' feast) Garvin