(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday, November 18, Rocky Mount, North Carolina, LDS Sister Missionaries

Dear Family,
I was going to start of my letter by saying something funny about how I hadn't received a letter in a week, and then call you all to repentance, but then I found out about how your computer crashed, and other things that are happening in your lives, so I think I will just start out by being grateful. :)

(Also, Thanksgiving is nigh upon us, so twill be fitting!)

I'm so grateful.  I'm grateful for miracles, I'm grateful for love, and I'm grateful for you.

I know I have said it before, but I often wonder if anything I have done has been for the bettering of anyone besides myself.  It's so easy to see all the things that I'm not doing well, or not doing right, and wonder-- what on earth drove me to make a decision that would cause as much of an emotional roller-coaster as serving a mission.

I woke up thinking this exact thing this morning.

Why on earth did I decide to serve a mission? 

Well it's a miracle! And I remember why a little bit more since emailing you today.

As a part of one of the miracles which I have seen as of late:

I just received news that an investigator that we were working with in Jamestown has decided to be baptized!  Yay!  (I don't really know how to describe it any better. :)

I didn't come out here for worldly gratification, but it does make a difference to know that something I have done mattered. 

So in a summation of all the things that I could continue to say today I just want to end with this.  Thank you for making it possible for me to matter.

I know that you each are dealing with things in your own lives that are challenging to you specifically, but you have made a difference for me, and you matter to me.  So remember that!  Remember that to at least one other person in the universe (besides Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father) you have made a lasting impression on the person that I am and the person that I will continue to become.

My invitation to all that read this letter this week is this:  Tell everyone that you run into this week that had made a positive impression or influence in your life that they matter.  It's not awkward. 

To Andrew:  (everytime I type your name I miss the w and type an s so your name is almost always Andres. ;)
I love you!  You matter to me!  And you are a miracle in my life!  I'm so grateful to have the best brother in the whole world!  You are amazing!  And I know that you make a BIG HUGE difference to so many people! (ya done good kid!)

To Ashley:  (haha!  Just typed you as Ashlet.)
I love you!  You matter to me!  Way to go on the GED!  I know that you leave an imprint of joy, and delight on every life you touch!  
Every time I see the photo of Winnie-the-Pooh that you drew me, I remember that joy, and delight!  Thank you for being my delightful best sister, and for making me happier! :)

To Mom: 
You hear from me more than anyone else.  I wish that I could tell you all the things that have made you matter to me.  But I think that unconditional love and support would be the best that I can type up short. Thank you for always making me important. :)  And I love you!

To Steve:
I have lots of nice things to say about you, and to you!  But in short: Thank you for being willing to help, and for sharing as much love as you do, and for making a difference in my life! You are thoughtful, and reach for the kindness within yourself to serve others who may be in need.  You matter!

To Brock:
You matter to me because you always sacrifice for my benefit.  You always do everything within your power to make things for me better, and easier.  You also are probably the most honest and hard working person that I have ever met, and I look up to you for that.  I hope it is an attribute(s) that I have inherited. :)  

I love you all so much, and I don't know if you'll all read this, but now you can know that you matter, and that I'm grateful for each of you, and the impression that you have made on my life.

P.S.
I would go through all the people that I know, but I only have 15 minutes left and I know that if I forget someone in my extended family and friends that would defeat the purpose of this being an uplifting email. Sooooooo......

One big I LOVE EVERYBODY!

Thank you very much, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever dun for me.....

Love forever,
Sister Garvin