(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, April 7, 2014

Amber's Report; General Conference and Personal Testimony

This week I am sending a short email home. 

We watched General Conference.  We were really happy because in the Sunday Morning session we had an investigator come to church, and she knew the congregational hymn that we sung in the middle.  So that was a wonderful thing.  The church and it's leaders are led by revelation received through the power of God.  I know it.  There is no other way that all.....this...... could work out.

So it was a wonderful revelatory experience.

I emailed my MTC companion, Sister Vance, this morning.  I can hardly believe that it has been almost a year since I met her, and since I was in the training center.  This journey has seemed long, and difficult, but in now looking back it seems too short.  And looking forward it seems there is not enough time left. It's surreal.

Sister Vance has served in 4 areas in the Richmond mission, and is now blessing the lives of many as a Sister Training Leader.  I'm so grateful for the time that I was able to spend as her companion for 2 weeks.  What a blessing.  I haven't seen her since. :)  But I am so proud to be serving alongside such valiant sisters even in different missions besides mine.
I just know that my weeks in Rock Mount are coming closer to an end.  So sad!  I love our ward SO much!  That has been the greatest blessing of serving here.  Plug for our ward:  If somehow this letter reaches someone that has the opportunity of coming to our blessed mission and serving in the Rocky Mount area, they are serving in the BEST place in the mission.

I am SO privileged.  To be on of the 83,035 some-odd missionaries and serving as one of the 4 in Rocky Mount.  Surely, the Lord's plan is perfect and divine.  Surely He is in the details of His work, and of our lives.  Surely He cares about me enough to send me to such a wonderful place. What a gift.

The next 6 months I KNOW will fly by.  Time is like the moment in Mulan when the little gorilla guy lets go of the rope and Mulan and the horse and Shang all fall off the cliff.  I'm the little guy standing at the top "[Time] slipped right through my fingers...."

But somehow the Lord will shoot me a rope to hold onto again.  That probably doesn't make much sense, but I've sorted through how I'm feeling about it and feel much better.  Also, I thought it was a great analogy! So thanks!  You are the best listeners!
:)
I just love you, and wish you each well!

Love,
Sister Garvin