(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm being Transferred to Nags Head, North Carolina. My "Ode" to Rocky Mount.

Dear Everyone,

So I got my transfer call.  I am going to Nags Head, North Carolina.  I will be companions with Sister Petrie.  She arrived to the mission with Sister Felt. Sister Quiroz will be taking my place in Rocky Mount.
"Selfie' - from a members Ipad.  :)

I keep crying.  And everytime I think that I'm all run out of tears there seems to be a back-up supply come from somewhere.
Bodies.... they are so funny.

I don't remember if I wrote an Ode to Jamestown, but I'm definetly writing an Ode to Rocky Mount.  Humor is the only way I know how to cope with heartbreak. (Insert HUGE sigh here)

Ode to Rocky Mount:
(To the tune of "You can Make the Pathway Bright")

In this land called Rocky Mount,
I have learned to smile not pout.
With my Southern family(ies)
Even in the darkest days
there were brightly beaming rays
as we searched diligently.

CHORUS:
For the people who God loves.
We found them here, and there.
They were placed everywhere.
And I know that He is pleased.
With the work of the Sisters here.

I have learned to love a lot,
and the Spirit's in my heart,
I have worked so mightily.
There is still much to be done,
by another one,
and I pray she'll arrive safely.

CHORUS:
For the people who God loves.
We found them here, and there.
They were placed everywhere.
And I know that He is pleased.
With the work of the Sisters here.

Through some small and simple things
I have grown stronger wings
and I know that I'm not done
There is yet some sky to fly
Under Heaven's watchful eye,
it will shape a greater destiny.

CHORUS:
For the people who God loves.
We found them here, and there.
They were placed everywhere.
And I know that He is pleased.
With the work of the Sisters here.

I know this chorus is silly,
but it's true enough to me,
I know that I am loved.
This journey has been long,
but I have become more
than I ever could've been before.

CHORUS 2:
And I know that there is need
for my service here and there,
I will go to anywhere.
(even the ocean where I might be killed my a hurricane or tsunami or eaten by a Kitty Hawk, or lost in the city of Roanoke, or fall off the sand bar, or see a jellyfish, or a beached whale, or stub my leg on hidden pirate booty, or whatever else bad can happen.....)

The Lord has promised me,
that if I follow him I will succeed.

So this is humorous, and serious.  But it's all true.

I wish anyone the opportunity to be on the Lord's errand in this blessed place. 
I love it!

I love you!
Goodbye until next week!

Love,
Sister Amber Garvin


(The following photos are from my Mom so that you can all see the area where I'll be serving next.  My Mom got these online and hope that they are representative of the area.)  :)






Before and After Storm












First Flight....
Wright Brothers' Memorial
Wright Air Strip
1911 Flight - Wright Brothers

Town of "Kill Devil Hills" where Sister Garvin will be living

Yep, it's a Real Place

Wright Brothers - Sculpture
Wright Brothers etc. - 1911