(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday, April 21, 2014 - Rocky Mount, North Carolina, LDS Sister Missionaries

Dear all the people that I love and know,

In contrast to last week. This week was ~AWESOME!!!~

We had such amazing miracles happen.  And we saved the life of a snapping turtle that was trying to cross the street!  Yay!  We are doing good in the world around us! :)

We named the turtle Jean Pierre.  He was huge
 
Saving Jean Pierre  :)

So, I felt good about it. :)  I would have been scarred for life if we'd have run it over.  You can't hit a turtle!!!  It's a very tender creature. :(  If you think about it, it's probably the worst thing in the world to hit besides a person.  So, now you can understand my feelings about saving his little turtle life.  It was a special experience.  I know that sounds weird.  I just don't know how to say it any other way.....

We had a really wonderful week.  We worked very hard.

As part of the 12-week training program Sister Felt took the lead in all of our teaching and planning situations for the week. She was a little bit anxious about it at the beginning of the week, but I think that it really boosted her confidence in herself, and taught her that she knows more than she gives herself credit for.   There are many lessons that you have to learn from having experiences, not from people telling you something.  I am proud of her for being diligent in carrying out the plans that she made, and for following the Spirit to lead her in every good thing.

Easter was wonderful.  We sang in the ward choir.  One of the Elders spoke on the Atonement, and gave a great testimony.  It was a powerful talk.  And he used some great scriptures.  

Sometime, I just love being a missionary.  I learn more and more each day, each week, and each transfer what a sacred calling this is.  I am so grateful that the Lord would guide me to the place that I am in now.  As I said before... There are many lessons that you have to learn from having experiences (I'm not sure if it is grammatically correct to quote myself here..... so, Go Mom! ;).  And I am grateful for the lessons that I have learned from the experiences that I have had specifically from serving this mission.  The course of my life will forever be altered for the better.

This is the best life to live!

Isn't that phrase a turn around from the start of my mission, when I was doom, and gloomy?  Repentance is a change of heart to bring our lives in closer harmony with God's teachings... He's changed my heart.  And I don't ever have to live wondering how things would be if I was a different person.  I am different each time I allow the principles of the gospel to change my heart.

What a wonderful gift!

I've thought about it a lot this Easter holiday.

Okay.... The end.

Love,
Sister Amber Garvin

(also, it becomes increasingly weird-er to have a first name.....)