(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, July 14, 2014

Haircutting, Lawn Mower Mishap, and...STRAIT and narrow path....

I missed the free slushie day at 7-11 last week (on 7/11).  That was disheartening.

Whatever.  :)

This week I my attitude may be full of what appears to be dry humor.  Don't worry.  It's just a coping mechanism.

This week was awesome. (dry?)

I will start out with something that I forgot to mention last week.

I did the unthinkable. 

I cut my own hair.

Gasps everyone?

Good news: it looks about the same, just a little shorter. 

In fact, after all those years of observing hairstylists, I did such a passably good job that I cut 3 inches off Hermana Haywood's hair too.  (she was a year over due)  She even got a compliment on it Sunday.  It also looks about the same, but a little shorter, and a straighter.

Funny for this week:

Actually it was just awkward. 

I ran over a pair of boxer shorts with a lawn mower.  They jammed the lawn mower.  Sister Petrie pulled the remnants of said shorts out of the mower.  Then she threw them away.  I then started the mower up again, and it worked like a gem.

So that's super funny.  

Suddenly, I am super awkward all the time.  My excuse it that it makes it more comfortable for everyone else, but really I think it's just me.

Anyway.
I promised a spiritual thought right?

Here is something that Sister Petrie pointed out to me this week, and you have to be a little philosophical about it okay?

So in the scriptures is talks about the "strait and narrow path" not the "straight and narrow path". Notice the spelling differences.

Well according to the dictionary definition of strait and straight it puts a different perspective on the "strait and narrow".
(these are revised definition's according to Sister Garvin because I left my dictionary at home)

Straight: a direction without angles, bends, curves.  Without obstacle.
Strait: a narrow way, usually angled an dangerous between two destinations.

So thus we learn that the scriptures do indeed talk about the "straight and narrow" path because there is only one way. We must stay on the one path, and there really isn't wiggle room.  But it is NOT without obstacles.

2 Ne. 31:17-20  

The path is truly "strait".  It is narrow.  There are obstacles, any "convenient God" as talked about in Elder Hollands most recent conference address would not walk the strait path with us.

The journey of disciple ship is paved with difficulties.  But for every pothole in the path and each obstacle that we face the healing power of the Atonement is there to fill the potholes, and the guiding light of the Savior is there to lead us home.

Go forth with strength!  The Atonement is for sinners and saints!  It's for the world, it's for the one, and it is for every single moment for the span of eternity.

What a magnificent gift.  What a waste if we don't take the time to understand it's influence in our lives, and what a waste if we do not try our very best to take advantage of it's enabling power each day that we walk the "strait" path.

I say that in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

If I love you as much as I feel it in my heart, Heavenly Father loves you ALL the more.

Love Forever,

Sister Amber Garvin