(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, July 28, 2014

My Testimony - Easter Time

(Note from my Mom:  The Sister Missionaries made paper Easter eggs and copies of their testimonies to share with some of the people in their area at Easter time.  I didn't receive a copy of them until a few weeks ago and...am sorry to say that I hadn't found the time to type it up until today.  But, I'm a believer that all things happen for a reason so...hopefully this testimony, posted today, will be for that. See Easter Post for more details.  :)

"Serving in Rocky Mount has had a large impact on my understanding and testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I catch myself sometimes feeling inadequate -- as most of us experience at some time or another -- and focusing on the weaknesses that I seen in myself, instead of my strengths.  I know that those are the times when Satan is trying to discourage me from the path of discipleship that I have chosen to walk as a member of Christ's church.

Through Christ's ''divine means of help or strength" (BD: Grace) I know that it is not my weakness that defines who I am as a servant of the Savior, but it is my confidence in Him, in His Atonement, in His power, and in His love that overcomes our limitations.  His 'grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before [him]" (Ether 12:27).  We can press forward with steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope' (2 Ne. 31:20) with each new day, and each new learning experience.

His Atonement is so perfect that it can correct each of us in the exact way that we need it.  He loved us enough to pave a perfect and exact path back to our Father in Heaven after we die, and He is walking it with us -- lifting, carrying, and encouraging each step of the way.

I know that I have felt His strength in my life as I have turned my heart to him, and have been willing to open the door to Him.  I have felt His penetrating love in times of need, and reassurance, and I know that His arms are open wide to all those who will 'come unto [Him]."  (Matthew 11:28)

In addition to knowing that He died for us, I know that He lives for us.  He lives to rescue, and lift, and He lives that we might have the blessing of eternal life with our families in the life to come.  Choose Him, and His way, and you will find joy even when circumstances are not ideal or even desirable.  :)

He loves you personally!  He knows you!  I pray that each of you will feel of His love as you remember His eternal Sacrifice, and the joy of knowing that He lives.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

- Sister Garvin