(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, July 7, 2014

We Slept Through the Hurricane :)

"I'm Seester Garvin, I'm a missionary, I love to plan things (that's new huh?), I'm a hurricane Arthur survivor, and I'm a Mormon...."

Do you think that would be a winner status for mormon.org?  I put a lot of effort into that one.

Well, here's the story that I know you are all anxious to hear, and know, and share....

On Tuesday we talked to a member, and they said (in more words) P.S. there is a hurricane coming, are you going to be evacuated?

Us: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ Well, we dont know.

Then we hung up the phone and called the zone leaders.  Why were we only hearing about this 2 days before a natural disatster hit?  I don't know.... We were just forgotten I guess.....

Well, we were told that if it got too bad we'd be taken care of.

So we went throughout the rest of our day. (AND FOUND A NEW INVESTIGATOR!!!!  Woo!)

Fast forward to Wednesday during lunch while I was enjoying a delicious free sandwich. (that's another story altogether.)

President Baker calls and says "Sisters, I'm going to ask you to evacuate to Elizabeth City tonight for the storm. "

Then he said that he hadn't had time to get in touch with the Hermanas or the Elizabeth City Hermanas, and he asked us to and then to report back.

So we did.  Obviously, otherwise we'd be destroyed by gale force winds, and that seems like it would be a very unpleasant experience.  So we didn't do that.

The Elizabeth City Hermanas were SOOOOOOOOOO excited to have us come, and screamed on the phone.

We evacuated after taking down our recent converts trampoline. 

Thursday: The Elizabeth City Elders gave us some names to see in their area, and we were given permission to work there.  Also, I ate a self-pity shake from Cook-Out to calm my nerves.  Also, a Southern BBQ Sandwich.

Thursday night: We slept in the kitchen to avoid windows being blown out. 

Then......

The hurricane hit. 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
and I slept right through it.... along with the rest of the household.

Wasn't that an exciting story?

Thought you might like it.

We had zone meeting as planned on Friday morning (which was great, because we were already in El. City) and then we ate another shake, and waited for President Baker to call and tell us to go home.

Then we went home, and we assessed the scene, found no damage, ate dinner, made my last two planners (before I come home), almost cried because of that, and ate smores around a campfire with our friend Brother Kelly.

It was great.

I'm not going to take the rest of my 30 minutes on the computer today, because there is a long line, and some contentions.....

Also, we are going to a funeral today. 

Preparation Days are not so relaxing anymore.  But it's okay.

We have interviews with the mission President Tomorrow.

I am going to focus on spiritually uplifting things next week. 

Here's an entertaining story though that you can share with your friends...

And, I didn't die.

anxiety eased.

I love you!

Love,
Sister Amber