(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, September 22, 2014

No fleas, Zone Conference, Delicious Cupcakes, Social Media Split, and... Closed on Sundays!

Here we are again, another week has come to an end.
 
So much has happened, and changed.
 
But I feel the same.
 
And I don't have fleas (which was a concern yesterday, but I think we got that one sorted out.  Showers, vacuums, bug exterminator spray= conquering of the fleas.)
 
Wednesday we drove to Virginia Beach and had zone conference.  Our mission area doctors, and LDS Family Services consultant spoke to us about missionary health, and coping with stress as well as being "present" and not living for the future or dwelling on the past.
 
There were some really incredible principles taught.  It also came with cupcakes. 
 
Which were delicious.
 
Truly.
 
I didn't find out who made them, but I hope that one day they read this blog, and then they will know that they are great, wonderful, and talented.  Also, that I'm grateful, and they made a really good decision.  People go crazy for cupcakes.... President Baker got chocolate with chocolate frosting. :)  Sister Carson got pumpkin, and I chose carrot cake.  Yuuuuummmmmyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
 
The Book Of Mormon Musical is coming to Norfolk, VA the latter part of October.  As a way of portraying accurately what missionaries really do, and who we really are all five Stakes in our mission and the Mission Presidency are working with our local Social Media representative to do what is called a "Social Media Split".  Various members will sign up to spend parts of the day with us, and take pictures and videos to share on Social Media Websites with their circle of friends.  It's really going to be amazing!
 
Sister Newbold was serving in Portsmouth, and piloted it for the mission in August.  She said it was great.
 
I'm going to miss it, but I'm dedicating myself to do something that day that will support what the missionaries are doing.  Neeeeaaaatttttt-ooooooo.
 
We've got a very busy week ahead!  Ward activities, service projects, exchanges, etc....
 
Also, we found a delicious frozen yogurt place that is closed on Sundays because the people that own it are very religious, and keep the sabbath day holy.
 
I don't know them, but I admire them.  Because they stick to their standards, and I have no doubt that they've recieved a lot of pressure to open on Sundays because it would be a great business day for them, and they are in a great location, and they are delicious. 
 
I'm making this part up in my head: they have a bumper sticker that says "I want Surfin' Spoon, but it's Sunday"  I think that is their response to all that pressure.
 
Way to be!
 
They are living what the prophets have taught us.  They are letting their religion show.  And they're being graceful about it.  
 
We each need our personal bumper stickers when it comes to our beliefs, our testimonies, and who we are.
 
We are members of the Lord's church.  We are His representatives, we are God's children.
 
As I'm writing this I've thought: If I had a personal bumper sticker, what would it look like?
 
Conclusion: Probably my mormon.org profile. (which by-the-way, you can print pass-along cards with your face on them.  BEST INVENTION EVER!)
 
And dems is mai tots for da day.
 
I love you, and will see you in 16, 15, 14, 13......... hmmmmmmm, better not continue that one.
 
Have a blessed week!
 
Love Forever,
Sister Garvin