(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, September 8, 2014

Ode to Rain, Manteo Aquarium, Atonement of Christ, Imperfect People, Life of each ONE!

One time in Rocky Mount I wrote an "Ode to the Rain".
I don't really know what an ode is, but I know that it's related to music somehow, and also... today would be an appropriate day to sing that particular ode.

(insert from my mom)
-----------------------------------------
ode
ōd/
noun
noun: ode; plural noun: odes
  1. a lyric poem in the form of an address to a particular subject, often elevated in style or manner and written in varied or irregular meter.
    • historical
      a poem meant to be sung.
-----------------------------------------
The sky is black.  The rain is falling, and I left my good umbrella in the car.

Good news, the wind doesn't look like it's blowing too hard, so the umbrella that I do have will probably be sufficient for today.  I don't think that it will turn itself inside out.  But there is only room for one missionary.... not two.... so we'll see how that works out as a companionship. ;)

We are going to the Manteo Aquarium today.  I've been waiting for this moment FOREVER!  I'm so excited!  I hope that the dinosaur exhibit is still there..... animatronic dinosaurs.... BEST. DAY. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No spider stories this week.

There is a toad story though... several of them.

Frog story: I found one in an outdoor sink, and in an effort to save it's life I found it jumped on my  shoulder, and I was so startled that I froze, and just walked to where it would be safe so that it would jump off of me.

Toad story: It jumped into the garage that our laundry room is in, before we get into our house, and hit underneath the dryer.  I don't know if it is still there, but I prayed that the Lord would lead him out of the garage so that he wouldn't die there.

So I'm just going to assume that prayer was answered.

I learned an important lesson this morning actually.

Remember the talk given in April conference "What were you thinking?"  Well I get annoyed when people just say that line over and over again, but it's a wonderful talk. 

Yesterday in Church we were talking about being offended, and the lessons that we can learn from 
General Conference.  A sister that was visiting brought up that talk, and spoke about the different perspectives that people have. 

Mis-Judgement has seemed to be a theme this week. 

There are so many people that have left the church or are considering doing so because of some mis-judgement that has occurred.  I feel to share a couple of messages about that.

Also I'm going to finish that in another email in case the power goes out.  I want you to get something from me.....

To be continued....

Continuation.....

Well here:

"Come, Join With Us!" --Elder Deiter F. Uchtdorf

"What Are You thinking?" --(Elder Zwick)

"2 Nephi 4:16-35"

Let's have a little thought here to connect all the above named sources.

First,  "...imperfect people are all the God has ever had to work with..."(Elder Holland, "Lord, I Believe") and most often, if we looked at ourselves through the lense of judgement that we project onto other people, our eyes would be opened, and we'd be severely chastised.

Second. We never really do know what people are thinking.  What they do makes sense to them, and before saying something unkind, or giving our opinion of what we think they should do we should follow the counsel of President Monson, and try to see them through a lense of true, Christlike charity. (See: April 2014 General Conference address)

Third.  Let's just face it; Nobody is anything without the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  If that were taken away we'd each be miserable, unable to measure up to anything, and directionless.
Fourth, because each of us fails to measure up perfectly to our potential every time we are all hypocrites. ("Come, Join With Us!")

Fifth, We see each other in a mere speck of time in the wide spanse of eternity.  You just don't know what is ever in a persons heart.  But it always turns out better if you try to know what is in their heart before putting a "dot" on them (Max Lucado "You Are Special")

I know with my whole heart that each soul truly "is precious in the sight of God", and that God's glory is to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)

Heavenly Father knows our hearts.  He know us by name, and he sees us for the span of eternity, and who we are becoming. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

All these things have I learned through a long thought process, doing the dishes, eating peanut butter toast, and sweeping the kitchen floor.

I hope that there is a heart in the world that reads this and feels strength from it.  Everything about the work of salvation is about reaching out to ONE, and touching the life of ONE.

It is my ONE that generations are changed whether for good or bad.

Sending my love your way, and beware!  You only have 29 days to strengthen your cores enough to handle how tightly I'm going to hug you.   So get you to some abdomen exercises!

Love Forever,

Sister Garvin

Good song: "No one knows my heart" Jessie Clark Funk



      (Read more of their missionary adventures from her wonderful companion Sister Carlson)