(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29, 2013 - Williamsburg, Virginia - Sister Missionaries

Dear Dearest Most Darlingest Most Wonderful Family in the ENTIRE world,

Hey.

So this week went by really slow, but really fast.  So fast, that I don't really remember everyday.  8 hours of sleep just seems like a really long nap these days, and so all of the days in the whole week really feel like just one really long day.  :)

But things went good!  We tracted a lot.  And I got exactly one letter at all. (hint hint)  I know that I never respond to letters but that does not give you an excuse to stop spending all day long composing me pages and pages of your lives which then end up in my very small mailbox.  That's just not a valid excuse.  It's just not.  I'm sorry I have to be so blunt with you here. ;)

FOR MOM:  There is a really cool missionary infographic that I would love to have you post on my blog.  go to this page http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/topic/missionary-program and click the view infographic and then there is a code at the bottom which you can embed.   If it doesn't work then no worries.  (note from mom:  I've posted it below)

Just as always there were many miracle this week, but the major one was I got through it.  Yup, truth revealed.  It was a rough week.  In all honesty that is usually how weeks are.  I didn't really understand that until I was living it, but being a missionary is hard.  There are days when you have to consistantly remind yourself why you made the decision to go on a mission. Not I ever question my desire to serve the Lord, but I do sometimes find myself questioning why I made the decision to serve in this way. Trying to teach simply, while teaching doctrine fully and completely AND following the Spirit to tell you what to say is not a simple task.  Sometimes I want to curl up in a ball and never speak again.

But along with the discouragement that occurs for at least a second everyday there comes great lessons.  
I have learned to talk to people.
I have learned to get past the first judgements that I frequently make.
I have learned about second chances.
I have learned about love.
I have learned to open my mouth.
I have learned to do things that are intimidating, and scary.

I am learning to teach with love always,
I am learning that every day is a mountain to climb, and it's worth climbing.
I am learning that Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to cross the finish line before he will bless us, but he will bless us as we take each labored step to get there.
I am learning that the only person that can hold me back is me.
I am learning about the person that God designed me to be, and am seeing more potential in myself, and the opportunity to do good than I have ever seen before.

This week was a mountain, but I reached a checkpoint in the race, and I it was worth it.  I am still here, and I still have faith.  I can still pray, I can have a second chance, and I can continue to open my mouth and speak.

I love you all so much, and will admit that last Monday I was a little bit homesick so I bought myself a box of Reese's Puff cereal because it reminded me of mom.  I know that is weird.
Also, I ate the whole thing. 
Shhhhh!  No telling. ;)

I hope y'all have a better day everyday. :)

Love forever, and past eternity,
Sister Garvin