(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, June 23, 2014

Happy Belated Father's Day and....SO MANY MIRACLES!!!

I PROMISE THAT I DIDN'T FORGET FATHER'S DAY!  I JUST FORGOT TO WRITE ABOUT IT, AND I'M REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SORRY.   --  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO BROCK,STEVE, ANDREW, GRANDPA'S, UNCLES, COUSINS, FRIENDS, GOOD INFLUENCES, BISHOPS, AND ALL OTHER FATHER FIGURES THAT HAVE INFLUENCED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I LOVE YOU AND APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU DO, AND ARE!  FATHER'S ARE A GIFT AND MIRACLE FROM A LOVING FATHER IN HEAVEN. 
LOVE, SISTER AMBER

Now to this week:

This week we saw SO MANY MIRACLES!!!!!

It was miraculous, really.
 
But first I forgot to tell you something last week.

At Stake Conference we had to go up early, and we worked with President Baker so that we wouldn't have to be at the Stake Center (church) with nothing to do-- because that is not purposeful, and we would be bored.  So this great answer to my prayer happened.....

We got to work with the Portsmouth Sisters, and guess who the Portsmouth sisters are?!?!?!  SISTER NEWBOLD!!!!!!!!!! (and she just was called to be a trainer again.  We only had one Sister Missionary enter the mission this transfer-- Sister Smart (who is now famous because she is the 'one') and Sister Newbold is her trainer)

It was an answer to my prayers because I have wanted so badly to see her growth since we parted ways as companions.  I felt the transfers that we were together I didn't teach her the things that she needed to know that that I basically ruined her, but the good news is that she is doing phenomonally well.  I'm so pleased to know and have witnessed her growth as a missionary.

Also miracle #2 and another answered prayer.  WE GOT TO EAT WITH A SENIOR MISSIONARY COUPLE.... My dreams came true.  It was so much fun, and I just love being around the senior couples.  We ate with the Simmons who work in the office.  Elder Simmons blessed me with the lovely car that we drove in Rocky Mount. 

They are great, and so funny!  I learned.

Also, I'm not weird, because we had burritos and Elder Simmons brought out the pickles.  I found a kindred spirit! :)

Okay, so to the miracles of this week.

On Saturday we were rushing to an appointment and we walked outside, and there was a baby bird on the ground.  We weren't able to pick him up because we had to go.  But there had been a huge storm and I think he'd fallen out of his nest.  We prayed that maybe somehow his mom would come back and save his little life.

We came home about 6 hours later and didn't see him, but then we did.  He was under a bush just exhausted.

We called everyone we knew.  And talked to a vet in the ward, and then we got the baby bird some food, and fed it.  And then we gave it to a young man in the ward who works with wildlife birds... He's been taking care of it, and the bird has lived!!!!!!  I'm so happy because if it hadn't lived I probably would have been devastated....  But I'm not, so MIRACLE!

We also went to Chesapeake to go on exchanges with our Sister Training Leaders.  It went well.  It was far away.  We had to drive about 2 hours to get there.  But there were many miracles there as well.  We found a new investigator, and tracted using family history-- but it was really hot, and no one was outside, so we didn't do that long, and mostly 'planted seeds'.

I'm so grateful that I continue to learn things.  Go missions!

This has been more substantial than some of my previous letters home.  For awhile there I just had completely run dry of ideas to write home about.  But I think I got it again.  I just have to keep looking for inspiration that will keep my momentum up.

Summer is here, it's hot.  We almost reached 100 degrees last week, and I had heard that with the humidity there was a heat index of 112 degrees.  But that's just a random fact that I don't really understand.  I only did a semester of college.  ;)

Just know of my love for each of you, and your importance to me.  I remind you each week, but I hope that you feel my love each week.

This sacred time has seemed to pass in the blink of an eye, but the effects of it will influence me and last for eternity.  I hope you will still like me in October. :)

Love forever,
Sister Amber Garvin