(Amber Garvin from Provo, Utah served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as 'Mormons') in the Richmond, Virginia area (Now called the "Virginia Chesapeake Mission"). 'Sister' Missionaries are able to serve at age 19 for a period of 18 months. They leave their homes, families and educational pursuits to love and serve their fellowman, and to teach about how families can be together forever. All are invited to follow her missionary experiences.)

*I have now returned home to Utah and will continue to share the experiences of being a returned missionary. :)

Monday, June 16, 2014

What do we do all day?


I received a letter from my Mom with these questions that some of you have had - 
and now I will answer them as my letter home today.

1) What do you do each day?

 6:30 AM: Jolt awake, roll off my bed onto the floor.  Walk downstairs to wake me up so I don't fall asleep again.  Climb back up the stairs.  Pray.  Do some sort of physical activity. 

7:00 AM  Eat some food.  Choose an outfit.  Try it on.  Choose another outfit.  Put clothes away.  Write in my journal more.  Make my bed.  Etc.
7:30 Shower, put my face on, do my hair.
8:00 Study for one hour.  Right now we are reading the Book of Mormon so that takes about an hour 
to read about 7 pages.
9:00 Companion study.  Sing a hymn. Pray.  Read 3 pages in the missionary handbook (I've read it almost 18 times now... I counted this morning.) Talk about the way we felt during our personal study about how to help the people we will teach that day.  Make lesson plans.
10:00 Begin proselyting.  Usually we make phone calls.

Somewhere between 11:00-12:00 we take an hour for lunch break, and additional study (and do the dishes....)
12-5  Teach, find, teach, talk with people, go to lessons, contact people that previous missionaries found, do service, and other nice things for everyone.
We try to have dinner at 5:00 PM so that we can proselyte after 6.  That's the best time because people are home. :)  We often eat with members of the ward, and then have an experience after the meal when we discuss missionary work, principles from chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel, and ...we've begun to role-play with our members more.
9:00-9:30 PM  Talk about what we accomplished that day and set goals for tomorrow, make plans for tomorrow.
9:30-10:30 Get ready for bed, and go to bed.  This usually includes writing in my journal and praying.  Also sometimes eating a snack. :)
10:31 Dream about missionary work in a state of REM.  (or whatever that sleep business is called.)

2) What is the Area like?

We do indeed live on a sandbar.  The widest part is about 5 miles wide.  Usually I am acutely aware of where the ocean is. We also have lots of tourists.

Everyone's house is built on stilts in case there are floods--- so I get lot's of exercise climbing up many stairs.  There are lot's of pets.

Our church is about 15 minutes away.
There is a highway that goes from top to bottom of our area.  You cannot make left turns in the summer because of traffic unless you are at a turn signal light.  So we leave extra time for traveling.
There are wild horses in Corolla that live on the beach, and you can't touch.  There are lot's of mini-golf courses with pirate ships, volcanoes, and fountains, and one with a dinosaur.
There is a fancy outlet mall that I will probably never shop at.
We drive past the Wright Brother's memorial every day on the way home to our house. 
We have 4 out of 5 lighthouses in North Carolina in our area.
Also lots of wildlife. 
Last week I accidentally ran over a frog on my bike.

I also rode about 3 miles without using the handlebars. It was awesome.

Our first day on bikes....

3) What's the ward like?
Small, but wonderful.  We have a pretty small ward building, and are about 8 people short of an expansion.  So we're working on that, but we don't have a ward.  We have incredible recent converts, and not so recent converts, and life-long members.  They love the gospel. :)
4) Your Companion?
Sister Petrie is great!  She's from Boise, Idaho, and came out with Sister Felt.  We are now in her 4th transfer.  She's been in the OBX about 6 months.  She is the youngest of 9 children, loves musical theater, music, cats, Dr. Who, writing books, and Alice in Wonderland. 
We are currently in the library (writing to you), and there is some sort of kids-event going on where all I hear is about a duck that quacks.
I'm being kicked off the computer now, and have to go.  It's not really worth it to save this message just to write something for 20 more minutes.  I'll write paper letters.
I love you so much!  Thank you for all that you do!
Love,
Sister Garvin